Customer Service FAQs

Who should I call in case of a water emergency, such as a water line break or broken fire hydrant?

You can reach customer service toll-free, 24 hours a day, at (877) 408-4060.

Is Washington Water responsible for plumbing leaks?

The Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission only authorizes Washington Water to take responsibility for the water system on the Company's side of the meter. Customers are responsible for maintaining the plumbing on their side of the meter.

How do I turn off the water supply to my house in the event of a break in my plumbing or a repair?

You can interrupt the flow of water to your home by turning off your house valve. House valves are usually located beneath a faucet outside the home, most typically near the faucet for the garden hose. (See the How to Shut Off Your Water page for more information.) If you cannot find your house valve, please call our Customer Service Center at our toll-free number for assistance.

How do I discontinue or transfer my water service?

To stop your water service, please contact our Customer Service Center during normal business hours.

How can I tell if my toilet has a leak?

To find out if your toilet leaks, listen for the sound of running water. You can also place a few drops of food coloring in the tank. Don't flush the toilet. If the coloring is seen in the bowl, the toilet is leaking.